Tuesday 12 July 2005

My Two Favorite Gadgets

Let me just come out and admit that I carry a purse. ("Come out" may have been the wrong choice of words.) No, I don't have matching shoes, and no, you can't borrow my lipstick. ("Ho, ho, ho--I never heard that one before!") Of all the gadgets I have tried, none has changed my life so much for the better than this old black camera bag that I now sport wherever I go.

In pre-purse days, I would end every meeting, movie, and meal with The Dance, patting myself down as I ran through the checklist--keys, wallet, blackberry, camera, phone, receipts--and still inevitably leave a trail of belongings sprinkled behind me. But now that I carry a purse, I no longer (publicly) pat myself down or trace back my steps in search of my wallet. Every morning when I dress, every moment I move around, my chachkes are present and accounted for in my precious sack. Truly, it's technology that works.

At least half of you already know how to use a purse. For the rest of you, if you're man enough to brave the stigma here are some tips:

1. Old camera cases work best -- they are free, slightly masculine, padded, and equipped with strap.
2. Get one with Velcro! It's the quickest way to extract and deposit, without risking leakage.
3. When your beer-bellied pals ask "What is THAT??" just look them in the eye as tell them it's your purse. ("Man bag", "camera case", or other diversions will only encourage the snickers.)
4. Label your new purse with name and telephone in the unlikely event of total loss. I recommend the P-Touch Label Printer, my second favorite gadget!

No comments:

Post a Comment